Saturday 5 May 2012

Niagara-on-the-Lake, how country can you sound?

It's been a week since I've been back and I've finally decided to catch up on all the blogging I didn't get the chance to do so heads up if there's any confusion regarding the chronological order of the posts. 

We finally set off for Niagara Falls on Saturday April 7th after putting it off for an entire week. I was worried about packing so I wanted to finish off most of it before we left for a day long trip. In addition, the weather was supposedly fabulous (and it was) on Saturday.

I must say I'm pretty proud that I didn't get lost on the way. The route to Niagara is pretty straightforward but still, this was my first ever road trip. First, a stop at Tim Hortons for Coffee and Sandwiches then we were on our way. The drive to Niagara was wonderful, its so much more fun when you get to drive (I've been a passenger many times). We wound down the windows and blasted music all the way. I noticed we got some cars honking and signalling to us as they drove past. Then I realized how strange it must have been to wind down your windows and blast music on a major highway such as the 401. 

You'd find some of our music choices particularly interesting. It was K-Pop for the start of the drive (2NE1 and Big Bang songs make for awesome road trip tunes) followed by some electro and then..we hit the sardonic high: Hokkien Songs. A has got a trove of videos somewhere. Yes, she has a video of a lovely drive along the Niagara countryside set to the tune of... 'Ji Pa Ban'. More on this in the Niagara Falls post. 

********







Like I said, the weather was to die for. Cool, sunny and the kind of blue sky that can only be conjured up in your imagination.  

********

A point on geography, Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake are two different places. The Falls itself is about a half hour drive from Niagara-on-the-Lake but if you're travelling to the falls, this town is a MUST visit. Its a picturesque small town with some great shops selling the food and drinks of the region along with the usual souvenir shops. Literary fans, this town boasts numerous tributes to the Irish writer George Bernard Shaw. 

*******

Our first stop was Picard's Peanuts, on the outskirts of the Niagara-on-the-Lake.  I love this place and its a regular stop for me every time I'm around the Niagara region. They also let you try most of the flavours before you buy them and no awkward feelings in regards to asking for more because they just put an entire canister of that particular flavour on the shelf for you to try (or in our case, eat) your fill. 

Nuts rank high as one of my favourite foods so I have to set phasers to self control whenever I'm in the store and boy, do they know how to wave a giant flag of temptation in your face. 



    A in the foreground with the red basket, getting excited about ploughing through the collection. 








They've got some pretty cute candy choices too:




How the place looks like from the outside. 



********
Breaking this post up so look for the next one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment